View Single Post
Old 04-03-2011, 06:33 PM   #15
mrshelley

My Ride: 2004 330i
The harmonics is the real issue and only for the 3.0l motor. You can take the 2.8 or 2.5 and just safety wire the nut and you'll be set for what most people do.

I grenaded a motor this year just because it is seeing 6700 on the high banks of Daytona and 6900 when it runs in a draft. This is for at least 10 seconds per lap. After enough laps, the crank broke, the timing wheel exploded, the guide rail on the oil pump chain was broken and the oil pump chain shot all of the rollers out of it. On top of all of that, the harmonic balancer had rotated by about 60 degrees (the timing mark was that far off). In the series I run in, I'm limited by rpm is I like it or not. The N52 motors do not suffer from this problem.

This is the most extreme situation and I doubt any of you will ever see this. What usually happens, is the oil pump shaft shears off and the motor blows up (they can run for around 117 seconds without oil pressure).

I would suggest this oil pump shaft if you are going to do some racing with the car. As these cars get older and cheaper, people will start to track them. Thing is, what I learned 10 years ago, is finally coming around for everyone else.

If you are going to run occasional track days with a regular 330, then you are fine. If you are going to put some serious time on it (5 to 6 hours per weekend) then you might want to look at this option. Most people don't run their car on the track flat out for long periods of time. If you do, just beware of what can happen.