View Single Post
Old 04-12-2011, 08:09 PM   #68
grtpumpkin

My Ride: Chevrolet
Quote:
Originally Posted by matrix733 View Post
what did you use to power the glow plug? I have ran mine several times up to 45 minutes with no burnout issues. I actually bought two but still do not need to use the spare. I did not use baby oil, I used mineral oil which is basically the same but cheaper. I guess the the AC delco 60g plug is self-limiting so it should not burn out that quick. I am just curious if too many amps got to it and that's why it burned out. I also had no issues generating a good deal of smoke within seconds of turining the unit on.
I used a 12 volt car battery. I fused the Positive lead with a 15 amp fuse as a 10 amp fuse instantly blew. The 15 amp fuse never blew out. I believe the 60G plug draws 10.5 amps. It worked well for about 10 minutes, which allowed me to find my leak. Not sure how the plug died. I just figure it's not meant for constant 12 volt duty.

I will try to rig up something better in the future. I don't like the glow plug sticking up from the bottom as you have to prop the can up on something. Mine tipped over a few times on me. Maybe it was rough handling that ruined the plug. I want to try and use an automotive cigarette lighter element on my next try. Not sure if the lighter is safe for constant duty.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5252.jpg
Views:	954
Size:	128.2 KB
ID:	400099  
grtpumpkin is offline   Reply With Quote