View Single Post
Old 05-21-2011, 01:56 AM   #32
Alex323Ci

My Ride: M3 & 323Ci (sold)
Quote:
Originally Posted by TerraPhantm View Post
I think a 2-piece floating drilled design (like the 330 performance rotors and the rotors found on newer M-cars) would probably be better than single-piece blanks. The floating design allows for lesser weights and for lower overall brake temperatures. Both factors lead to better brake performance. While a blank floating rotor might be even better, they're not exactly common. I don't think any BMW has come with blank floating rotors since the E39 M5.

I don't think cracks will be a significant concern on a well-designed rotors. You don't really hear about the newer M cars cracking their rotors all the time.
Exactly. For all those about OE..well floating cross drilled rotors are factory equipment on the M3 ZCP and CSL. So where's your logic now. Not only as stated will they run cooler from being a floating hat design, weigh less for performance, directionally vented vanes, they also keep the heat away from the bearings compared to solid blanks.

Don't generalize here people. rusted poorly designed and made blanks can be much worse than a fairly good cross drilled(and vice versa). A good perforated floating hat design rotor is much better than a blank.