View Single Post
Old 06-08-2011, 09:43 AM   #1
fredwordsmith

My Ride: 2004 325xi
Aux Input in console (not glovebox) in 325xi w/heated seats?

Hi everyone - did the usual searches and can't find an answer to this specific question.

I have a 2004 325xi with the new "Mode" headunit and I have been thinking for a long time about installing an aux cable for listening to our many devices (iPhone, iPad, etc.) during drives. For $40, this is a much cheaper experiment in quality sound than even something as nice as a Dynavin (although I would love one!) especially since I listen to music through a lot of applications like Rdio, rather than just iTunes playlists.

Not having control through the steering wheel doesn't bother me since I usually pick a playlist and stick to it and would only really want to control the volume - from all I've read, I can still do that on the steering wheel, or at the very worst on the console itself.

I've stumbled across a great tutorial here:

http://www.my330i.com/mod26.php

Although it's for a 330, I think this should work for me. It walks through everything with a series of photos which is a huge benefit. I've also found a number of great tutorials on here.

My question deals with the placement of the aux jack itself:

The input in this case was installed on the minor column between the sunglasses holder and the ashtray/cigar lighter. In this tutorial, they drilled a hole in that column and placed the aux jack there on the right-hand side. While that would be great, I'm wondering if I can do that, since I have the cold weather package (I'm in MN) and I have a number of buttons there for my heated seats.

I certainly still think this DIY can be easily done - I'm just wondering if there's another place I can put the jack. Would even moving it over a few inches be possible? I don't want to damage any of the circuitry associated with my seats. At the same time, I'd love to place it there since it's a perfect spot and the glove box would be semi-cumbersome.

Thanks in advance for any replies!
fredwordsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.