View Single Post
Old 06-15-2011, 05:07 PM   #231
Dan330Ci~

My Ride: 330Ci Clubsport
Quote:
Originally Posted by spage View Post
Really??? Why???

That plate is pretty flimsy, I can't fathom why it would have torque-to-yield bolts.

Of course I am going to take the engineer's word for it, but I am wondering why that plate needs bolts of an integrity that is normally reserved for pieces like a cylinder head.
The brace/plate add significant stiffness to the front subframe assembly. I haven't calculated if these are torque to yield bolts however using a torque plus an angle provides a very uniform load across all of the fasteners.

I actually did the Powerflex FCABs ~6 months ago and did not check the torque value, in fact I didn't even see it was torque + angle or the fact you are supposed to change these bolts A few weeks ago I noticed this in BMW TIS and ordered the new bolts from the dealer to switch them out and re-torque + angle them. It's something that should be done.

BMW TIS also states that you cannot drive the car without the brace/plate attached or you risk damaging the front subframe (they refer to it as front axle iirc).