View Single Post
Old 07-12-2011, 06:47 AM   #10
TerraPhantm

My Ride: 2005 M3 Coupe
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW_Knight View Post
I wonder if this can be done on a non-m to M cluster?
Probably not in the case of the E46. The software is fairly different between the M and non-M clusters. If it does work, I would imagine the speedo and tacho scales would be off, the rev lights wouldn't work, and the oil temp gauge would act like an mpg gauge.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott87 View Post
When the chip was moved over from the original cluster the chassis number would match up, that is what triggers the tamper dot. A difference in odometer readings wouldn't.

As for the mileage, all items that store mileage readings are updated to meet the highest reading in the system. Your keys actually store the odometer reading too, if you give them to the counter at BMW they can read it off. A key may not be used for months, as soon as you put it in it takes the highest mileage reading. This is one of the problems of buying a new cluster if you are going to recode it. The mileage has to be less than your current one (or you have to have it programmed BEFORE you connect to the car).

If you plug it in and it updates the system with a higher mileage you then would need to get all the modules recoded.
In my experience, the car doesn't increment the mileage unless the VINs match. So unless you change the VIN without changing the mileage, there shouldn't be much issue.

Also for anyone intending to do the chip swap, make sure the clusters are the same software number.

Last edited by TerraPhantm; 07-12-2011 at 06:51 AM.
TerraPhantm is offline   Reply With Quote