View Single Post
Old 07-13-2011, 10:35 AM   #23
Adamo99

My Ride: e39 530i, e93 335i
Quote:
Originally Posted by ap123ap View Post
thanks for this mate, i will be giving this a go this weekend. do you need a specific type of amp and subwoofer for this to work or could you use any setup for this?
I went with the Kicker amp specifically because it has dual sensitivity differential RCA inputs, which are compatible with the stock HK system (without requiring line level to RCA converters). The cabling is easier, and there's less to buy.

Keep in mind, I kept the stock head unit and HK speakers in the cabin. If you're replacing your head unit also, you can go with pretty much any amp that you want. I still recommend the Kicker- as they're a lot of amp for the money - often providing more power than they're rated for.

You can use any subwoofer you want if it's in a box designed for that particular sub. If you're going to build it into the ski-pass opening, you'll be wanting to use a free-air design, so it uses the volume of air in the trunk as the 'box'. Just check to ensure that your current ratings are good (ie: don't plug in a sub designed to draw 1Ohm if your amp doesn't support it).

Last edited by Adamo99; 07-13-2011 at 10:37 AM.
Adamo99 is offline   Reply With Quote