View Single Post
Old 07-13-2011, 03:54 PM   #16
3Bimmers

My Ride: E46 330ci+330D+E28
Okay, in response to my own postings:

1: the drainholes end up in some nondescript slots at the bottom. Not the place to pick them open. So an approach from the top IS needed.

2: The side panels need to come off. The Bottom side panel doesn't, but the rest is required.

Did the job in 2 hours flat today. Got the roof OFF myself, but putting it back on required the help of a buddy.

Three comments:

1: taking the top side covers off is a bit tricky. One is inclined to slide them forward. DON'T. You'll break off some plastic lip. The key is to LIFT them off. This requires pulling of about 2" of the U-shaped edge cover at the very aft part of the panel. A no-brainer.

2: I found that I needed to unplug the wires leading to the cover locking mechanism, as they interfered with lifting the roof mechanism off. Easy enough.

3: The sound dampening material under the back seat can be lifted, so it doesn't require cutting in order to get the water from underneath out. DON'T cut - you'll risk cutting through the paint and therefore risk long term rust problems there.

Thanks for this excellent DIY!!

Hans

Last edited by 3Bimmers; 07-13-2011 at 03:56 PM.
3Bimmers is offline   Reply With Quote