View Single Post
Old 07-17-2011, 10:22 PM   #11
CrazyOneToo

My Ride: 1999 328i 4dr
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott87 View Post
When the chip was moved over from the original cluster the chassis number would match up, that is what triggers the tamper dot. A difference in odometer readings wouldn't.

As for the mileage, all items that store mileage readings are updated to meet the highest reading in the system. Your keys actually store the odometer reading too, if you give them to the counter at BMW they can read it off. A key may not be used for months, as soon as you put it in it takes the highest mileage reading. This is one of the problems of buying a new cluster if you are going to recode it. The mileage has to be less than your current one (or you have to have it programmed BEFORE you connect to the car).

If you plug it in and it updates the system with a higher mileage you then would need to get all the modules recoded.
Sorry but I am confused. I have a 1999 E46 328i Sedan. I need to change my cluster out due to some plastic being broken on the inside. The reset button and the clock settings both have the tabs broken off and also the round plastic that holds the striker stalk in place on the clock side is broken. I can set the clock but thats it. As for the other side its useless for resetting or running any tests. I attempted the DIY tab fix I found here somewhere but with the other damage included it seems I need a diffrent cluster. Can I just buy a used one and hook it to my car? I see them on eBay and ECS tuning sells them. The dealer will be waaaaaay higher and will make me code it I imagine. I also thought of maybe trying to get one and switching the chips via a local computer shop. Now I am unsure on what all is involved.

Thanks
Alan

1999 328i E46 with a M52TU - 2002 X5 E53 3.0i with a M54

AutohausAZ.com/

CrazyOneToo is offline   Reply With Quote