View Single Post
Old 07-21-2011, 11:31 PM   #1
Bayviewboy

My Ride: 2003 BMW X5
Unhappy Help wanted - Alternator Mess

I have a 2003 X5 the battery in which drained last week. We boosted the battery and were able to get to the dealer just as all the warning lights started to come on. The dealer checked and diagnosed it as a bad battery and replaced it. I had a suspicion that this was not the case and asked for the old battery.
Two days later I went for a trip and the same thing happened. The various warning lights started to come on and then the car stalled with a dead battery.
I had a local mechanic recharge the new battery and also check the old battery and alternator. They found that the old battery tested good and that the alternator failed.
The dealer insisted that their test showed that the alternator was working and that is why they replaced the battery which they said was faulty. When I had them retest the battery it proved to be good and they now found that the alternator was bad.
Today they replaced the alternator. I drove home and then a short run to the store.
The car was making a rattling noise as in this video
The heat guage showed overheating and I barely made it back to the dealer.
They took the car and called to tell me that the coolant had leaked as a result of a some kind of failure in the area of the transmission cooling rad and say that it has nothing to do with the installation of the new alternator.

I am now waiting for them to repair this and hoping that there was no other damage.

Can anyone give me some advice as I am convinced that the mechanics have messed up.
Bayviewboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.