View Single Post
Old 07-22-2011, 02:49 AM   #35
danielle

My Ride: '98 E46 323i ECE 5sp
Quote:
Originally Posted by evo_q8 View Post
sorry to bring this thread back from the dead, but my question was - If I just replaced the GM 5 module, would that just work great or would it need programming done @ the stealership?

Thanks!
If the replacement GM was coded differently than yours you may want it re-coded by your desire. There are many settings kept in the GM such as one-touch open/close windows, interior lights, the way the car is unlocked (all doors simultaneously or 1st press of the key fob unlocks just the driver door and 2nd press will open the rest of the doors), rain sensor, home lights and much more...
If you have a friend with GT1 (SSS should do it too) he could do the coding for you and save some $$$, but personally I would prefer to replace the relays or fix my own GM5 if possible, so I will be sure it will last another 10 years. If you pay the same money for the used GM5 replacement as the fixing - I recommend fixing. You can't be sure for how long the replacement will work before it develops the same problem and you'll have to re-do this again.

Last edited by danielle; 07-22-2011 at 02:51 AM.
danielle is offline   Reply With Quote