View Single Post
Old 08-10-2011, 04:39 PM   #169
My Ride: 330ciC; Boosted E36
Send a message via ICQ to BeRzErKaS
Honestly, I haven't heard it referred to as a hypersonic glider until after the first one crashed a few months ago. Formerly, they would say the craft had "boost-glide" capability which is more accurate.

Also I have to admit, while I find the science behind this idea impressive, I find the project as a whole to be a bit short sighted. The whole reason they are doing this is to develop a long range strike weapon that WON'T be mistaken for a nuclear ICBM. They want to be able to hit targets anywhere on the planet with conventional warheads in under an hour.

I don't understand the fiscal sense behind that. If a standard Tomahawk costs $1mm per shot this thing will probably cost $30mm. Barring the need to blow up Chinese Parliament while it's in full session I can't imaging what kind of target would make this project worth it.

Originally Posted by Rif Raf View Post
"thats not flying, it's falling with style"
You know, the space shuttle was essentially a hypersonic glider. Reentry was unassisted by thrusters. Landing the shuttle basically consisted of holding onto the stick while it fell from orbit like a rock at supersonic speeds.

You got one shot at getting it right.

BMW 3 Series - "Welcome to the club."

Supercharged E-dIrTy-6 325is 5sp
Drop Top E-sPorTy-6 330cic Step

Last edited by BeRzErKaS; 08-10-2011 at 04:46 PM.
BeRzErKaS is offline   Reply With Quote