View Single Post
Old 08-10-2011, 04:39 PM   #169
BeRzErKaS

My Ride: 330ciC; Boosted E36
Send a message via ICQ to BeRzErKaS
Honestly, I haven't heard it referred to as a hypersonic glider until after the first one crashed a few months ago. Formerly, they would say the craft had "boost-glide" capability which is more accurate.

Also I have to admit, while I find the science behind this idea impressive, I find the project as a whole to be a bit short sighted. The whole reason they are doing this is to develop a long range strike weapon that WON'T be mistaken for a nuclear ICBM. They want to be able to hit targets anywhere on the planet with conventional warheads in under an hour.

I don't understand the fiscal sense behind that. If a standard Tomahawk costs $1mm per shot this thing will probably cost $30mm. Barring the need to blow up Chinese Parliament while it's in full session I can't imaging what kind of target would make this project worth it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rif Raf View Post
"thats not flying, it's falling with style"
You know, the space shuttle was essentially a hypersonic glider. Reentry was unassisted by thrusters. Landing the shuttle basically consisted of holding onto the stick while it fell from orbit like a rock at supersonic speeds.

You got one shot at getting it right.

BMW 3 Series - "Welcome to the club."

Supercharged E-dIrTy-6 325is 5sp
Drop Top E-sPorTy-6 330cic Step

Last edited by BeRzErKaS; 08-10-2011 at 04:46 PM.
BeRzErKaS is offline   Reply With Quote