View Single Post
Old 09-03-2011, 09:36 PM   #88
Loaded325i

My Ride: bmw 325i
Quote:
Originally Posted by 330ciandr6 View Post
I was a tech for about 8 years

And yes, I hated it cause you can get screwed too easily. That is why I work in parts now. But, I would like to know what car company makes a tech do a recall for free? Never seen that at all the numerous different car companies I have worked for.

90% of the dealers I have worked for , the techs didn't make much money (which is why I got out if it), but I'll say most of the BMW techs are making decent money at the dealer I work at now.

Oh and just so everyone knows the recall they put out is ONLY on sedans.
When I worked at lexus we had to deal with a valve train issue where the springs and shims needed to be replaced. I recall an incident where a customer brought a vehicle back and complained of a rattle on cold start up, ended up the greenhorn mechanic used the recalled part numbers that somehow where still in stock to repair the vehicle. This resulted in a free repair without pay, sadly this happened on other occasions where bandaids were performed and we had to put a guarentee on the repair in our name. It was terrible, and it almost ruined a perfectly good hobby. I fix and rebuild diesel generators and fix logging equipment out in the middle of nowhere, and to be honest...Ive never been happier to work outdoors, except in the winter time...it can be quiet cold and I hate busting my knuckles up when my hands are freezing.

Last edited by Loaded325i; 09-03-2011 at 09:38 PM.
Loaded325i is offline   Reply With Quote