View Single Post
Old 09-05-2011, 01:38 AM   #98
new//M3fan

My Ride: 77' 924 87' E30
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loaded325i View Post
When I worked at lexus we had to deal with a valve train issue where the springs and shims needed to be replaced. I recall an incident where a customer brought a vehicle back and complained of a rattle on cold start up, ended up the greenhorn mechanic used the recalled part numbers that somehow where still in stock to repair the vehicle. This resulted in a free repair without pay, sadly this happened on other occasions where bandaids were performed and we had to put a guarentee on the repair in our name. It was terrible, and it almost ruined a perfectly good hobby. I fix and rebuild diesel generators and fix logging equipment out in the middle of nowhere, and to be honest...Ive never been happier to work outdoors, except in the winter time...it can be quiet cold and I hate busting my knuckles up when my hands are freezing.
This and many other stories I've heard is why I never considered becoming a mechanic. All I hear is crappy pay, no pay on warranty work, rushing etc. The only way to make money as a mechanic is to be self employed and or run your own shop.

Last edited by new//M3fan; 09-05-2011 at 01:40 AM.
new//M3fan is offline   Reply With Quote