View Single Post
Old 09-23-2011, 04:06 PM   #403
ride365

Quote:
Originally Posted by ride365 View Post
I don't think this has been pointed out in this thread yet, but the CERN results don't necessarily discount Eintsein's theories or theoretical speed limit "c". It could just mean that we've measured the speed of light wrong or that it was incorrect to assume that c=speedoflight. These results could be confirmed, and the theortical "c" could still hold, and einstein's theories would still hold too.
^^ My last sentence probably stretches it a bit, but we've got a situation here no matter what... be it faulty calculations or assumptions or methodology that's been used/tested for years.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cowmoo32 View Post
The only problem with that (I think, someone correct me if I'm wrong here) is that we've used E=mc2 in calculations for nuclear reactions for years now and the math works. We know how much energy a given amount of mass has using c=3e8m/s. If c were to change that would mean the energy would change and our calculations have been wrong and we've been extremely lucky that something hasn't gone terribly wrong.
I hear ya... I don't have an answer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DylloS View Post
lol at you thinking you figured out an error in all of this.
It is amusing how the general public, even on the physics forums, think they have the answer that these scientists crunching the numbers for months/years overlooked.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeRzErKaS View Post
Let's not go handing out any Nobel prizes until we at least get a look at the standard deviation of the measurements.
Their stance so far has been caution and skepticism. Their working assumption that there's an error and that the (scientific) community is required to find it. They said themselves they aren't calling it a discovery. But do you really think they didn't consider standard of deviation error?