View Single Post
Old 09-27-2011, 06:28 PM   #6
flipm3

My Ride: 02 M3, 97 328i
Send a message via AIM to flipm3
Quote:
Originally Posted by 02black330ci View Post
So from what I am understanding, the two main flaws with our VANOS systems are the tabs and the intake cam bolts correct? Is it prone to certain years for the tabs and certain years for the intake cam bolts or it are both prone to any year?

Link to other info i found for VANOS intake cam bolts DIY:
http://m3forum.net/m3forum/showthread.php?t=321494
From my own research, it seems like the tabs and cam bolts are the most likely to fail as you mentioned. I know in the S54B32 Z4Ms had upgraded cam bolts, but I'm not sure if that upgrade made it into the E46 M3s of the same year and after.

In regards to specific years, I have not seen any conclusive statistics for susceptibility. Honestly, I still think that those that experience VANOS failures are a very small percentage. It's just being on the forums, we are a very small niche of enthusiasts and obviously when something goes wrong, it is bound to find it's way here. So I'm not even sure if it's safe to say that a VANOS failure is "common" but more so that the specific underlying cause of a VANOS failure has lead to a consistent aggregating factor.

2002 E46 M3 6MT | Jet Black . Black Nappa | My Build Thread
Evolve Automotive CF Airbox & AlphaN . Supersprint V1 Stepped Headers & V1 SPipe
flipm3 is offline   Reply With Quote