View Single Post
Old 10-12-2011, 10:28 AM   #90
Master Po

My Ride: E46 no more
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve108819 View Post
In all seriousness, if this is true, I've been completely wrong about this whole preventative maintenance thing. I assumed that since this was an enthusiast website, most people here turned their own wrenches. For those that do their own work, entire cooling system rebuilds and "pro-active" alternator replacements are ridiculous ideas. If you don't know how to work on your car yourself, maybe preventative maintenance is a good idea. If Master Po's quote is true, I owe E46Mango an apology for the other thread. I still don't subscribe to the theory, but I understand your point.
It's very simple: the world isn't binary or black and white.
Cars need both preventive maintenance and repair.
Taking things to either extreme is ridiculous. For example replacing each and every part by a certain date or mileage, regardless of their condition is not practical, if not absurd. OTOH, only fixing after something breaks is asking for trouble. For example, for cars that have a timing chain, waiting for it to fail first is going to cost you a whole new engine.
So, what to replace under prevention and what not?
The designers and makers of your cars know best. They've collected that information in your manuals, under maintenance schedule. They list the items that should be replaced by age or mileage. They also list the items that should be only inspected and replaced only if needed.

This poll is a fail.