View Single Post
Old 10-18-2011, 03:06 AM   #26
JRos

My Ride: SL500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSanders View Post
Good thread idea.

What's the best way to get your film photo's on the computer, DSLR? The photo scanners we have at school only scans up to 8.5x11.
My school has this rig thing set up that has a 5DMKII hanging above that can take a picture of your picture. It needs to be precisely parallel or your picture will come out distorted so I wouldn't recommend doing this on your own.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gheybe View Post
Okay I'm intrigued.

Why is it so much better/why do you freaks like it so much?
A lot of people will tell you it creates a certain 'look' that can't be replicated with digital. I personally don't want that look anyways, so films not for me.

I had a huge post typed up but figured you would have no idea what I was talking about, so here's the simplified version. What film did for me was make me appreciate the tools that are available today. I would spend many many hours developing film and printing in the darkroom. I had to do everything myself because it was a required part of my grade. I guess for you guys you could just have someone else do it for you. The cost of film and paper quickly added up, especially if you were like me and took 8+ sheets to get a perfect print. A sheet of paper was roughly $.75 and a roll of film was roughly $7. I feel like this part held me back. Because I was reluctant to spend too much money, I was hesitant to shoot and waste my film. With digital you can just shoot anything you want since it's essentially 'free' (minus the shutter life of course). Then there's the really annoying part of waiting to see your picture. You'd crank out a roll, hoping you did fine, only to find that 28 out of your 36 pictures sucked. Now you have to start the whole process all over again.

Compare that to now. You shoot your picture, and it's there on the back of your camera. You go home and you can immediately view it on your computer. If your pictures happened to suck, no biggy, you can possibly save it with programs. You start to appreciate what you have and it kind of changes the way you approach shooting. It has for me anyways.

When purchasing your camera make sure you buy one that's compatible with your lens. I made the mistake of buying a camera that didn't have an aperture setting on camera, so you needed a lens with an aperture ring, which mine didn't have. The newer film cameras should have an aperture setting though.
JRos is offline   Reply With Quote