View Single Post
Old 10-23-2011, 01:59 AM   #99
MJLavelle

My Ride: 2001 BMW 330ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex323Ci View Post
actually the less power the more likely you will notice and the more power the less you'd notice
I think you are trying to say that you are more likely to notice a drop in power than an increase in power.
If that is the case, then I must be super sensitive. Because I noticed a difference in acceleration just switching from the crappy (and loud) General UHP's that were on my car when I bought it, to a set of Michelin PS2's. The new Michelins were noticeably lighter than the old Generals. I can also tell a difference in power when the temperature goes from warm to cold (not the difference of having the A/C on v/s off). I can't imagine adding 4 - 5lbs or more of weight to each wheel would not be noticeable.
But, in the end, there are trade off's with anything, and I am not criticizing anyone for putting whatever the Hell they want on their car. It is your car, and you are the one who drives it, not a bunch of strangers on the Internet.
I do think it would be interesting to do some blind tests on people using their cars, and switching out between 17, 18, and 19 inch wheels. It would be a cool thing to organize and test. Maybe someone in a place with a lot of e46 drivers could pull together enough people, and convince a retailer like Tire Rack to come out with some different sizes of the same wheel model, with the same model of tire installed, and let people do blind tests. Maybe you SoCal guys? There seem to be a lot of you out there. Maybe I will try to do this here in NC. I have lots of time on my hands.
MJLavelle is offline   Reply With Quote