View Single Post
Old 10-25-2011, 01:53 PM   #15

Originally Posted by chivo328 View Post
I don't know how you do it man.

I HATE, I mean I FUKCING DESPISE trying to cook on an electric range. When traveling for work somtimes I used to stay at Extended Stay America or a place with a kitchenette but they were invaribly those fukcing electric jobs with the coiled burner...I don't even bother anymore.

Do you have the glass top type?
Originally Posted by DylloS View Post
I have glass top electric. I never really have issues.
Originally Posted by accolade View Post
+1 here too. I always used gas too until recently, like any other range, once you get used to it's easy.
Originally Posted by JJR4884 View Post
my gf's apt is all electric, so ya... gotta use it. i prefer gas obviously, but electric isn't that bad once you get used to it. typically if you turn the head down 1/4 to 1/3 of what you should do on a gas stove, you'll be fine

i use med high for steaks on that stove and they come out perfect
Originally Posted by chivo328 View Post
I've only cooked on the antiquated exposed metal coil type electrics. My experience has always been that they heat unevenly, and it would take a lot longer to drop the temperature when you needed to. I'm guessing the newer glass top versions have come a long way.
I've used old-school coil type burners my whole life with no complaints. I would say I cook more than the average person. I've tried gas and conductive heating, but I like what I'm used to. I've discussed this with my dad, who cooks more than any non-professional I know. He cooks a lot, including a 5-7 course meals about once a week typically which he does by himself using electric. His opinion is that electric heats up food/cookware faster, and that's his main priority. I've seen a scientific article to back this up, but I don't have a reference.

With electric, even-heating is not much of an issue with quality cookware. If I have to compensate for it, I must do it subconsciously because I never give it much thought. As for instant flame adjustment, I simply move off the heat if I need to. I know of the "shortcomings" with electric only from people selling or justifying expensive gas ranges. No complaints from me though.

Last edited by ride365; 10-25-2011 at 02:08 PM.
ride365 is offline   Reply With Quote