View Single Post
Old 10-25-2011, 12:53 PM   #15
ride365

THREADJACK

Quote:
Originally Posted by chivo328 View Post
I don't know how you do it man.

I HATE, I mean I FUKCING DESPISE trying to cook on an electric range. When traveling for work somtimes I used to stay at Extended Stay America or a place with a kitchenette but they were invaribly those fukcing electric jobs with the coiled burner...I don't even bother anymore.

Do you have the glass top type?
Quote:
Originally Posted by DylloS View Post
I have glass top electric. I never really have issues.
Quote:
Originally Posted by accolade View Post
+1 here too. I always used gas too until recently, like any other range, once you get used to it's easy.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJR4884 View Post
my gf's apt is all electric, so ya... gotta use it. i prefer gas obviously, but electric isn't that bad once you get used to it. typically if you turn the head down 1/4 to 1/3 of what you should do on a gas stove, you'll be fine

i use med high for steaks on that stove and they come out perfect
Quote:
Originally Posted by chivo328 View Post
I've only cooked on the antiquated exposed metal coil type electrics. My experience has always been that they heat unevenly, and it would take a lot longer to drop the temperature when you needed to. I'm guessing the newer glass top versions have come a long way.
I've used old-school coil type burners my whole life with no complaints. I would say I cook more than the average person. I've tried gas and conductive heating, but I like what I'm used to. I've discussed this with my dad, who cooks more than any non-professional I know. He cooks a lot, including a 5-7 course meals about once a week typically which he does by himself using electric. His opinion is that electric heats up food/cookware faster, and that's his main priority. I've seen a scientific article to back this up, but I don't have a reference.

With electric, even-heating is not much of an issue with quality cookware. If I have to compensate for it, I must do it subconsciously because I never give it much thought. As for instant flame adjustment, I simply move off the heat if I need to. I know of the "shortcomings" with electric only from people selling or justifying expensive gas ranges. No complaints from me though.

Last edited by ride365; 10-25-2011 at 01:08 PM.
ride365 is offline   Reply With Quote