View Single Post
Old 10-26-2011, 09:29 AM   #522
cowmoo32
drunken science

My Ride: Trek 1.5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raymond42262 View Post
I wonder how expensive it would be to launch a simple rocket into space. Mount some basic webcams on them and send them towards the different planets and their moons.

Let them rotate in the planet's orbit until they crash land and film it live while it happens.

No special landing gear, no bells or whistles. Just a camera to record what it sees.
It costs something like $10k/lb to lift something into orbit. I would imagine sending it beyond orbit would be even more costly. You have to have some sort of guidance system to ensure you hit the moving target, and you would need some beefy cameras and antennae to send the signal back. It's not something a group could do out of their garage at this point in time. NASA has done a few missions like that though. Right now there's a craft circling Jupiter taking pictures and NASA is planning to launch a satellite into orbit with HD video in the near future.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DylloS View Post
any of you guys watch curiosity on discovery channel? Really well done series. I watched on my dvr last night about living forever. They basically make up a story with adam savage myth busters dude and show how science now and in the future might be used to preserve our bodies.
Damnit, I missed that one. I'll have to see when it airs again. Did they talk about Ray Kurzweil and the singularity at all?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DylloS View Post
I often think how I would debate for a god when we get into it in all those threads. Usually it doesn't consist of the arguments we see.
It would end up with the burden of proof and "where did it all come from" arguments. You could also argue that the chances that our simple and elegant mathematical description of nature is a sign of intelligent design. On the other hand, nature finds the simplest ways of doing things, so....

flickher

What's this about a brownie in motion?
cowmoo32 is offline   Reply With Quote