View Single Post
Old 11-17-2011, 04:55 PM   #45
NJ///M

My Ride: TACO TRUCK/CBR600F4
Quote:
Originally Posted by @mir View Post
and where did you get it info from?
Kurt Sutter has said it is somewhat based on Hamlet, and there are numerous references to the play, especially in the first season.

Taken from SOA Wikipedia article:
Quote:
Sutter has said of the Shakespeare element, "I don't want to overplay that but it's there. It was Jax's father who started the club, so he's the ghost in the action. You wonder what he would have made of the way it turned out. It's not a version of Hamlet but it's definitely influenced by it."[12] Ron Perlman believes "they're going to stick to the structure of Hamlet all the way to the end (of the series)."[13]

In the pilot episode, after they find the warehouse blown up Jax says to Clay "It's not easy being King" and Clay responds "you remember that". In "Fa Guan", Clay makes reference to Hamlet when he states "I'll handle the little prince", regarding Jax. Jax is also referred to as "the prince" by Agent Stahl on at least two occasions, including "Balm" and "The Push". In "Widening Gyre", Tara also refers to Hamlet when she is angry at Jax, telling him "The prince doesn't always get his way." Regarding the legacy of John Teller, Clay says that Jax is "...being haunted by the ghost of his father". During season 4, it is revealed that Clay (possibly with Gemma's help) was behind the death of John Teller, parallelling Claudius' involvement in King Hamlet's death.
In the first season Jax frequently reads his fathers letters on the roof of the clubhouse, similar to how Hamlet is visited by his fathers ghost on the roof of the castle.

Jax also talks about the feds pouring poison in Opie's ear when they are questioning him.

They go on and on...

"You see, in this world there's two kinds of people, my friend; Those with loaded guns and those who dig."

Last edited by NJ///M; 11-17-2011 at 05:36 PM.
NJ///M is offline   Reply With Quote