View Single Post
Old 12-15-2011, 01:30 PM   #25
tinman831

My Ride: M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaput View Post
I completely agree. Maybe it is the people I know, and feel they would not abuse the system. Those in a chain (Target, walmart, etc) would not have these options. Only the private shops, small business types could, or even would if anything.

I just think they need a little more in terms of what they are allowed to do. Meaning that they are healthcare providers, but cannot (it is illegal) to give out medical advice, even though they have the knowledge, and more to the point, have more knowledge in terms of medications. They have access to the persons histories, and can cross reference the other drugs that person is on.

Having the ability to make suggestions to a person, who they have a history with regarding a drug that might work for them would be great. But according to law, they are not allowed, unless they say something like "There are many options out there to reduce chronic pain from fibro, I would ask your doctor about drugs like __________". She didn't actually give advice, but stated there are many drugs out there like this name brand.

To me it is funny. People trying to keep educated people like pharmacists from having the ability to help, yet those same people will go to WebMD for a diagnosis and treatment plan.
Pharmacists are not trained to diagnose illnesses which is why they cannot provide medical advice. You can have the entire Pharmacopeia memorized in your head, but if you do not have the knowledge to diagnose an illness, how will you know what medication to prescribe to a patient? This is the scope of practice for a pharmacist. If they want to diagnose and provide medical advice, then go to medical school (I know of a pharmacist who did this).
tinman831 is offline   Reply With Quote