View Single Post
Old 12-15-2011, 05:33 PM   #268
rcg323

My Ride: E46 coupe 09' m3
Quote:
Originally Posted by bvz View Post
Hi there, I've read through this entire thread and found it quite enlightening (though depressing).

I have a 2000 323i Touring that just got the no-reverse issues. As it was built in June of 2000, I suspect that I have the ZF transmission (have not yet stuck my head under the car to verify but all signs point this way).

My symptoms:

For the past month or two, if I threw it into reverse too soon after starting the car, it would really pop when it went into gear.

About 4 months ago, the transmission went into limp home mode (but then never did it again)

Yesterday morning, the reverse failed completely (for the first time ever). I have tried it cold. I have raced up and down the freeway like a madman and tried it warm. Nothing helps.

So, here are my questions:

1) From reading this thread, I gather that the suspect valve that everyone is referring to in this thread is only relavant to the gm tranny. Correct?

2) In all likelihood I am looking at the cracked drum that lucifer1306217 is referring to in his/her post (thanks for that btw). If so, any recommendations on where to go to see if I can get that fixed in the San Francisco Bay Area?

3) Would a used transmission (not rebuilt) make any sense? I mean, if it is (off the top of my head) half as expensive as a rebuild, I could have two of them fail on me before I am behind the 8-ball financially. But there may be other considerations.

4) Any thoughts on what a 2000 323i Touring (gold) with 116K mi and in decent but not perfect shape would sell for (given that the transmission is busted)?
I have all the same problems as the OP and some of the same issues as you. When your car went into limp mode did the light just comeon or did the car drive only in the limp mode gears? If the light just came on odd enough the air box wire the one that clips on can trip that light is what I come to find out . Look to see if that wire is loose! Otherwise it sounds like our reverse problems are the same smh "/ luckily my cargoes ino reverse sometimes!
rcg323 is offline   Reply With Quote