View Single Post
Old 12-17-2011, 06:22 AM   #1
grafiksguy

My Ride: 2010 328xi
New sway bar links

Had a weird, subtle clunking from the suspension that was hard to locate by listening while driving. Seemed to occur (or maybe that's just when I noticed it) at low speeds over rough or uneven surfaces. I couldn't replicate it by pushing down on the fenders though. The car has 150K on the odo but over the last 50 I've replaced most of the front suspension parts, done the rear shocks so I was curious what it could be. In any event I finally got around to jacking things up and pulling wheels and quickly discovered my right front sway link was shot. I'd replaced these about 40K ago and was surprised that this thing was really gone.

Simple DIY and in addition to the rattle/clunk being gone, it seems to have tightened things up nicely. I decided to go with Meyle HD replacments and hopefully these will last longer than the last set. I don't know how common this failure is, but if you have a similar noise, you'll want to check these along with the usual suspects like the CABs and control arms themselves. If it's just the sway links they're easy and fairly cheap ($23 at AutohausAZ).

Cheers!

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.