View Single Post
Old 12-20-2011, 02:41 PM   #12
Sofresh2Clean

My Ride: ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Solidjake View Post
Lol, I had a '00 528i. Great car, but remember the same issues we face that E39 will face as well, except the subframe I think.
I believe your correct. I havent heard of a single e39 having subframe damage.

To OP: Overall the e39 is an excellent car. You will be pleasantly surprised to find so many luxury amenities that were an option on the e46 are standard on the e39. I would highly advise for you to consider the maintenance record of the car. The 00' is a double vanos, so the seals will need replacing, check the rear ball joints, cooling system (obviously), valve cover gasket, oil filter housing gasket, power steering hoses, windshield washer pump and front and rear control arms. These are off the top of my head. All these go bad at around ~80K so beware.

I would check bimmerfest under the e39 section for most common issues specific to the I6 e39s. I have an account over there as well, so you can ask me whatever you please, as I will probably be over there more than in this section and forum.

All in all the e39 is great. If your going for the I6 I would put the 528 over the 530 easily. Reason being is less weight ( engine, rotors, calipers are bigger on the 530 making more weight) and it barely has 10 ft/tq over the 528. It does have a good ~20 hp over the 528, but the M52tu engine ( in the 528) is better in many respects for tuning and induction, if you decide to go that route. I would look for a well maintained 528, and a sport package at least. Trust me, you will feel and see the difference.
Sofresh2Clean is offline   Reply With Quote