View Single Post
Old 12-26-2011, 01:09 AM   #7
MJLavelle

My Ride: 2001 BMW 330ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by Viktimize View Post
So my GF decided to drive 8 hours to see family for x-mas. When she got there, she realized the front left caliper is sticking intermitently. (wheel was really hot, steering wheel shakes intermitently). Her dad is there and can do some work, but it's christmas day so no dealers or parts stores will be open. Has anyone tried just putting some lube around the piston while it is still in the caliper bore, and then pushing it in and out a few times to work some lube in?? I don't want her dad having to open up the brake system, and lubing it while still together would be a much quicker fix. You think this might get her home(700km highway driving)??

I'm ordering 2 rebuilt calipers and pad set right now to replace them when I get back home. Just hoping a quick fix would be good enough to get her home. Otherwise I'll have to load a jack and tools in the truck, and drive 8 hours to fix it out in the cold myself.

It sounds most like the piston is not floating on the two guide pins. The actual piston itself does not get lubes, except with brake fluid, as it moves in and out. But the two pins the caliper floats on can get gummed up with dirt and old grease, and the caliper does not move in and out properly. It can get cocked to one side, and stick there, and cause the problem you are seeing. Just breaking it loose and moving it in and out a few times may clear the issue, but if you can pull the caliper off, and get some new caliper grease on there, it should work fine. This is the most common problem encountered. There could be other issues, such as a piston that is not moving correctly, but it most likely is just some gummed up pins that the caliper slides on. If her father has some experience with cars, then he should be able to diagnose that, and fix it fairly easily. The guide pins are item #6 in the attached drawing. They are smooth, and protected by rubber boots. It is not the best representation, so you may want to look up a DIY for brake pad replacement, to get a better view. I hope I was able to post this in time to be helpful, but I think I may be a bit late. Good luck.*
MJLavelle is offline   Reply With Quote