View Single Post
Old 12-31-2011, 02:26 AM   #28
lejeunebimmer

My Ride: 02' M3 SMG, 02' 330i
Quote:
Originally Posted by flashtwosix View Post
yes, you are right. I was quoted $7K for a complete S54 swap but I am taking on this project because I want the challenge. Of course the S54 is challenging but I think is way over my head if I do it myself (time and resources wise).

this is another subject in itself but I have been seriously taking about retrofitting the ZF 6 speed automatic (found on the twin turbo e9x) on the
M54 engine. It was already confirmed that the bell housing will mate with the engine block perfectly. what havent been confirmed is what modification is required for this to work (Tranny wire harness, TCU, drive shaft, etc)
They're really good trannys and I mean really good but unless you're dead set on needing an auto or want to be the first to do it the zf 5 speed manual found in early 330s and 328s are pretty much bullet proof with almost no power ceiling (sic) and would be a much easier swap and upgrade from your current 323 zf 5er. Espically should you choose to ever go fi on the b30 or even get into decently modding it they can pass that 250 torque ceiling on your current one pretty easily.

About that compression test. You can easily rig the starter to the engine using (2) 1/2 inch drive 12mm or 13mm sockets and small thin piece of scrap metal. And hot wire the starter as previously stated.

You won't be able to spin it fast enough by hand to build good compression.
Sent from my SPH-M900 using Bimmer
330i - AA Tuned, Headers, UUC Stage I LW FW, e36 M3 Clutch, UUC SS Clutch line, BMW Performance Intake, Evo Sport Pulleys, BMW Performance Cross-Drilled Rotors, Hawk HPS, BW SS Brake Lines, BW Solid Guide Bushings, BMW Performance CF Strut Brace, H&R Sways, H&R Sport Springs, Bilstein Sport Shocks, Powerflex Bushings, LED Tails, Clear Sides/Turns, Black Grill, Mtech 2, CF Splitters

M3 - Not enough room to list
lejeunebimmer is offline   Reply With Quote