View Single Post
Old 01-04-2012, 08:51 AM   #100
geargrinder

My Ride: E46M3Cic6M E39540iT
Quote:
Originally Posted by cabronfiber View Post
thanks for the insight.

would you please point me in the direction of where one can get a fully integrated, sorted and shaken down low mileage s54 drivetrain/suspension/braking conversion done for said cost of $8-10k?
No ishtar. Having looked into it, that's not even the parts alone unless you're crazy lucky. I will say that crap rogue EC article is typical bad EC journalism and talks up the cost/difficulty a lot and makes it sound more crazy difficult than it is IMO, but that said, the only way to reliably accomplish this is either buying a very solid and mechanically whole M3 donor for all the parts and putting tons of work into it yourself, or, using a very expensive shop who knows what they are doing to do the whole job who has wholesale pricing on good salvage parts. Absolutely impossible to achieve for $8k unless you steal half the parts and do every bit of labor yourself.

That's why there's only 2-3 of these floating around but tons of people who'd love one. If I had all the money in the world I might try it myself but it'd start with buying the best wrecked M3 I could find (starting at $10k most of the low mileage ones I've seen w/ full solid drivetrains). Maybe now that E46 are getting old you'll be able to find a high miles M3 donor for cheap, but then you're putting a ton of work into a tired S54... not smart.

I don't know OP or the car and whether it's worth 15 or 20 or 24, but certainly looks nice from afar and certainly can't be easily replicated for $15k unless the pics are totally misleading and it's a mechanical mess where you can't see.

geargrinder is offline   Reply With Quote