View Single Post
Old 01-07-2012, 01:24 AM   #2044
new//M3fan

My Ride: 77' 924 87' E30
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajaie View Post
This thread is for the standard E46 vanos. It would have been better to post on an E46 M3 forum and invited me to respond.

I doubt any of these O-rings leaking would cause a vanos problem.

The oil regulator you point to seems to fail in some cases on the S62 vanos and cause an excess amount of oil to dispense from the vanos relief port and fill up the crankcase vent system. I don't know if it's an issue on the S54 and what symptom it would cause.

I'm surprised you found that your leaking solenoid sealing plate was causing a vanos racket. It would have had to be a large leak.
Where was the noise coming from? Intake or exhaust side?

The two main S54 vanos failures are the solenoid coil pack and the oil pump driver tabs breaking. These problems have nothing to do with the O-rings and oil leaks.

Beisan has a solution for the solenoid coil pack and is working on a solution for the breaking driver tabs.
Beisan will have a sealing plate repair kit by the end of the month. It will include O-ring that will take the place of the rubber rings molded in the sealing plate.

It doesn't seem the S54 vanos internal piston seals are failing, but Beisan will make and test a seals kit. We will likely release a seals kit and it will include the O-rings you are referencing.
Thanks for your thoughts on the subject and again thank you for your service, time and effort dedicated to the community!

The VANOS sealing plate rings appeared to be severely shrunk and cracked, I also cleaned the filter on the VANOS regulator. However, I noted that the o-ring on the inside had severely compressed and shrunk. Finished it up with a VANOS test and cleared the adaptations and the noises were gone; this was done when replacing the CAM bolts--the OE bolts were fine but didn't require much TQ to break loose.

Are the E46 M3 VANOS piston o-rings made out of Viton? Is that why they don't fail in the same way as they do on non-m's?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajaie View Post
Yes these two O-rings are for the pressure restrictor. You can see their installation in the S54 solenoid procedure.
Great! thanks! I guess there is a viton alternative to the OE o-ring I just replaced with OE... As I understand the solenoid pack fails primarily due to the connection between the car and the electronics inside solenoid pack being compromised?

Last edited by new//M3fan; 01-07-2012 at 01:26 AM.
new//M3fan is offline   Reply With Quote