View Single Post
Old 01-13-2012, 10:29 PM   #48
Bdave

My Ride: M3 HPF Stage 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Commanderwiggin View Post
Well I spoke with Raj from Beisan Systems a few moments ago and he has some very interesting things to say about the S54 Vanos.

Basically from what I gathered there was an earlier BMW euro engine design that had the general "Exhaust Tab" clearance set lower than the current S54 that uses the exact same setup minus the difference in clearance. The S54 tab clearance is higher which appears to cause more rattle and risks failure of these tabs. Raj is developing a sleeve kit to solve this and should be released soon.

In addition the bolts on the Intake side I believe are a common issue with rattling loose.

The solenoid failure is also another issue.

I believe he said the seals aren't the biggest issue but may as well replace them while we're in there.

From what I can summarize, a rattle kit, seal kit, solenoid kit, and some thread-locker on the the bolts for exhaust/intake sides is probably the best solution. I've linked this thread in an email to Raj so he can hopefully comment on it and reduce the amount of phone calls he gets as he's just in the process of finishing this up atm for product release.

And from what I can gather at a significantly lower cost than the Dr.Vanos kit which from what others have said is extremely overpriced for a basically stock OEM unit that has just been cleaned and could possibly yield the "Ticking timebomb" effect later.
Good research. I asked that my VANOS be gone over while the new head bolts were being installed as I posted earlier (for many of you that dont read or reread an entire thread).. I dont think as much was done as I would have liked. Mostly the seals were all re done in Viton from Besian. They did not have the plate out yet with the built in VITON orings. I think that is easy to add later. But i am seeing things that some guys did that I can have done when the new parts come out. When those new parts by Besian are available I think I will order a deeper rebuild.

Its not much regret I have since a few of the really neat things are not available yet. I heard one tech(not mine) say he could get to the VANOS and have it half way stripped in two hours. I'd like to see that! Seems like bragging.

In any event, the VANOS rebuild is one of those things that's really expensive to do but wise IMO.

My tech did say that Besians electrical refit of the VANOS was not necessary on one with 50K miles on it.
I am liking what Besian is doing. I read in a Besian blog somewhere something about what CW is talking about. I dont understand ALL of it, but I do believe it is important to consider.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Commanderwiggin View Post
Thread Revival and Posts concerning Vanos:

So to summarize...things that are not so hot in the Vanos:
- Exhaust Hub Breaking (Beisan Solution in the works)
- Intake Cam Bolts Loosen up (Threadlocker with Z4M Cam bolts iirc)
- Vanos Solenoid Pack (Beisan Solution available and Dr.Vanos...Beisan is rebuilt and Dr.Vanos is overpriced new OEM with same inherent design flaw)
- Vanos Seals (Beisan Solution available)

Sent an email to Raj@Beisan asking what he recommends for a full overhaul on the S54 vanos and I expect he'll be back to me today.
Great. I need this. Some of the work is done already. But a lot is not. Did you see that plate that is about to become available? Not very expensive...12bux? but really nice with all the Viton orings built in it. its the tabs though I am most concerned about.

I was all for buying the Besian Solenoid. THat was one thing that my tech thought was only necessary in a really HIGH mileage motor....over 100K. So i dunno. Thats what I was told....
other wise I agree with your. I might still put that solenoid.

Last edited by Bdave; 01-13-2012 at 11:03 PM.
Bdave is offline   Reply With Quote