View Single Post
Old 01-24-2012, 10:00 PM   #700
TxZHP04

My Ride: ESS TS2+ ZHP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob43 View Post
What type of testing equipment do you plan on using to make sure you have "tuned out" the bad harmonics that plague the M54B30 block & crank ? I'm really hoping Vorshlag's plans aren't to just install it on a test car & beat on that car. Thinking of course, that if your test car doesn't suffer OP/OPN failure you're good to go.
You really think ATI did the level of testing you are suggesting? Given the amount and type of data they gathered from customers (even prior to the group buy), I didn't get the impression they ever laid hands on an M54. I believe they just used their standard design with properly sized pulleys, selected elastomer rings by rule of thumb for an I6 with an assumed max engine speed and power rating, and ensured a properly toleranced fit for the M54 crank snout. Maybe they put a lot more R&D into their M54 offering but it would truly surprise me if they did.
04 IR 330i ZHP | ESS TS2+ SC | MagnaFlow "headers" | KMS 3.64 LSD | AST 4100 550/650| APEX ARC-8 18x9 | H&R front sway bar | Vorshlag camber plates, RTAB limiters | TMS subframe & swaybar reinforcements | UUC SSK & DSSR | UUC TM & TME | BW motor mounts | Dinan strut & shock tower bars | vaio 4-bolt oil pump
TxZHP04 is offline   Reply With Quote