Thread: Help!
View Single Post
Old 02-05-2012, 03:24 PM   #2
White_Knuckles

My Ride: 2003 325xi
Hmmm, not a bad idea inspecting your boots but a torn boot usually throws lean codes. The MAF is a mysterious device. CRC makes a MAF cleaner spray that may remove contamination on the delicate MAF film or wire. You may have spotted that a Hyundai replacement MAF is out there at much less cost and is a direct cross. My advise is to monitor the codes and not assume anything. Many throw parts at codes and end up chasing their tail. Codes often point to a condition and/or part that is from the affect of something else not the part itself. Example - O2 lean. You swap the sensor only to find it continues to throw O2 lean due to upstream air leaks. Don't assume you've got it nailed by code interpretation alone. Try operating the car with the MAF connector disconnected. It will throw a MAF code and often auto-transmission alert. Not sure what's up with the tranny alert but I've duplicated it and it freaks you out when greeted with the amber trans symbol. Removing the connector will force the ECU into "open circuit" which allows a pre-set factory fuel mapping program to operate. What changed? Did the car run or idle better? Under this condition did other codes appear? You of course need a code reader with reset capability. A basic auto store ODBII reader will work fine for this.