View Single Post
Old 02-08-2012, 09:29 AM   #88
celluloidheros

My Ride: 2001 330 xi
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfoj View Post
http://www.radioshack.com/product/in...ductId=2103962

You might need to add an inductive current loop, however, you can log and monitor Voltage with this meter. You might be able to find something on ebay as well, however, I have 3 of these meters and the software is pretty good. Just note this meter is RS232, so if you do not have a laptop with RS232 you will need a USB to RS232 adapter, they do work with this meter as I have a USB to deal RS232 cable that I have run 2 of these meters from a single machine before.

I did not read the entire thread, but if you do not drive the car often, if it sits for more than 10 days at a time, you need a Battery Tender or solar charger.

Also it sounds like you have a lot of stereo gear in the car, you may have exceeded the alternator output and you may be draining the battery. Also the AGM style batteries have crummy Reserve capacity, you really need a decent lead/acid with a big reserve.

Also study up on the Unloader Relay also called Fuel Injector relay in some of the later models, they can stick and hang, usually they can be swapped with the rear window or horn relay for a test??
Hello, thanks for your suggestions. I would like to buy a new Current meter that had an Inductive loop for DC voltage. the issue is we are talking about very low Current. My car draws 10 mAmps in sleep mode. I have an RS232 computer, its the 15 pin D shell connector, I also have the USB to rs232 adapter with both male and female pin adapters.

only have Grom box connected, nothing else, everything is stock. All that talk about capacitors and JL Audio amps was for my Honda. I installed the Grom recently well after the problem started so it not the Grom.

I did replace the 10 channel amp in the trunk with a new one because it was staying on and drawing current through fuse #41.

I have pulled every fuse one by one and watch current draw, Fuse #41 and 63 were the only ones that had current draw.

But the issue is hard to catch, when i connect my Amp meter it always shows <50mamps after 16 minutes. I would love to connect an inductive current meter to the main battery line and plot the current draw, my guess is that an inductive meter would not be accurate enough to catch a current draw of 500 mamps which is about what i have.

I could also attach a meter to a particular fuse like #63 and watch it.

Thanks for your help, driving the car every day does work.

Can anyone tell me a good way to see if i've killed my battery with some many charge/discharge cycles. Also, i have not been disconnecting the battery when i recharge it. i charge at a very low rate (like .5 amp) and do it from the front under hood connections, Is this bad ?

Anyway, thanks for the help. Don Crandall

Last edited by celluloidheros; 02-08-2012 at 09:55 AM.
celluloidheros is offline   Reply With Quote