View Single Post
Old 02-08-2012, 09:39 AM   #89
celluloidheros

My Ride: 2001 330 xi
Quote:
Originally Posted by gramps05ZHP View Post
heros,

I completely understand your pain. I have an 05 330i ZHP with the same problem, although I do have an Dice Ipod adapter installed, plus angel eyes, they are not my problem.

Here's my problem.....I have the standard biz CD in my car w/HK, no nav. My radio while asleep runs my CD ejection motor. My amp draw ranges from 1.3 to 1.8 amps. I thought too I had a cure when I found a couple of wires in a bundle going to my BT module in drivers side trunk. But as of yesterday, I am back to square 1.

I am going to finish what I started before I found the wires, and that is to visit each grounding terminal with the car, roughly 9 locations and clean/inspect/reinstall each.

I have been troubleshooting this problem for 5 months, I have bought programming software/OBDII/Flukes/Amp probes/etc. I will figure this out.

Here is a note that I have learned from other forums....is that BMW knows about parasitic draw...they recommend that you just drive the car daily...lol....they also know that it can be several different components that cause the draw....it can be the IKHA/heater controller, radio, drivers headlight switch...my point is rarely is there a common component between vehicles...check out the X5 forum, it is quite common on those.

So my recommendation is to check ALL the grounding points, and harnesses for chaffed wires. I will be in touch. FYI, I can read schematics, use a Fluke, interpret data...but I am not an ASE certified car doctor.
Hello, Have you found a way to use an inductive current meter that you can leave connected ? On the 330 series, the FSU (Final stage resistor) for the a/c climate control main fan is the Number one cause of parasitic drain. I would recommend that you look here first. It is an easy replacement if you follow the simple DIY's.

Can you explain how a bad ground would cause a parasitic draw ? I could see if it's on the red cable from the + side of the battery. I know that current leakage through grounds can happen but i need a refresher course to understand ? If everything is shut off, how can a bad ground cause leakage.

I think that an electrical component is not turning off or turning on by itself. The FSU/FSR definitely does this. I had a car where the interior light would suddenly come on for no reason, could have been a bad door switch.

Thanks for the tips, i would love to find a way to measure and plot the current draw while leaving the battery connected.

I will check the X5 forum, thanks again, Don C (celluloidheros)
celluloidheros is offline   Reply With Quote