View Single Post
Old 02-11-2012, 12:53 AM   #1
TerraPhantm

My Ride: 2005 M3 Coupe
Z4M electric fan retrofit?

I've been contemplating deleting the mechanical fan, but I don't really want to go with an aftermarket solution. I've been tempted to retrofit the non-M electric fan, but always held back because I'm not sure if it would be powerful enough (I think it'll fit though. Radiator brackets seem to be the same).

Now looking at the z4m - it has a 600W electrical fan (compared to the 390w fan in the non-Ms). Mounting points are identical to the e46 non-M fan. I'm thinking this should do the trick since it's from an s54 car. And it should into the existing connector. One potential issue is that the z4m comes with a different radiator (same radiator as e46 non-M actually). Another issue is that it's expensive ($500 shipped at thebmwpartstore.com)

Before I attempt this - has anyone attempted either this fan or the non-M electrical fan? Can they at least mount up? If not, how difficult would it be to retrofit whatever piece has the screw holes? (would I need a new radiator or can I just swap some plastic bits?)

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.