View Single Post
Old 02-14-2012, 02:28 PM   #1
tim330i
Owner/Admin

My Ride: 03 Ti Silver M3
BMW Fined $3 Million for 16 Recalls in 2010

BMW North America has agreed to pay $3 million in civil penalties to The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA). The penalties are the result of slow reporting of defects to government in a timely manner. For the safety of the driving public the NHTSA requires that automakers report defects and recalls to them within 5 days. Seems BMW was caught sitting on their hands when it came to knowing about issues with their cars.

Major BMW recalls that Fanatics readers are probably aware of -

E46 Tail light recall for 2002-2005 325i, 325xi, 330i and 330xi

BMW Recalls 130,000 N54 powered 335i, 135i, 535i, Z4 and X6er

BMW North America and BMW AG (Germany) have implemented new policies as a result of this fine to ensure proper handling of issues as the come up in the future. Basically they don't want to get caught not taking care of problems again.

Quote:
In December 2010, NHTSA launched an investigation to determine when BMW first learned of defects and noncompliances related to several motorcycle and vehicle recalls and whether the company notified NHTSA in a timely manner. NHTSA’s investigation led the agency to believe that BMW had not fulfilled its obligation to report a known safety defect within five days, as is required under the law. The fines will be paid into the Treasury Department's General Fund.
Source - NHTSA

What other recalls can you think of that BMW might have been slow to report?
tim330i is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.