View Single Post
Old 03-03-2012, 12:12 PM   #29
deadwood83

My Ride: has an iron lung
Send a message via MSN to deadwood83
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmax View Post
...and that's what makes Fanatics so great. You ask your questions, and no matter what they are, someone will help you and someone will make fun of you! The 'fun' part is a large part of why the guys hang around to take care of the 'answering' part. I know I wouldn't be here were it not this way.

Since this pump only runs a couple of minutes at a time, OP, I don't think you need to worry too much about impending catastrophe.

I sprayed wd40 through mine a couple of times now and it's seemed to quiet things down a little...next for me is the rebuild I've just recently read about...but don't know the details thereof. And, on wd40, I can't recommend or endorse it, even though I did it myself.

I've written about it, but do it at your own risk...I'd read about this here and gave it a try, but because of its original source, it's highly risky, you know!
I did this about 13 months ago when I put in headers. Rebuild with new bearings and seals. Can't say i remember much of it. It was similar to doing the VANOS seals in that you take it apart, slide in new parts, and put it together. Not terribly difficult if you go slow.

On the plus side, it really quiets the pump down. Doesn't sound like a vacuum nor airplane. Now my car just sounds kind-of farty on cold mornings.

The irony of doing that is that I'm just going to flash it to an EU2 tune soon so the SAP won't even be used.