View Single Post
Old 03-03-2012, 02:48 PM   #4
ddaniel1
CWO4 (Ret)

My Ride: 328i, M3, 525iT
Try my beans:

Darrell’s Grilled Baked Beans
These beans use a base of bush’s original baked beans, this recipe is for 3 55oz cans in an aluminum roaster pan, for smaller quantities reduce by 3rds for each can, I always make these for large groups so I have no experience with smaller batches.

3 55 oz cans bush’s original backed beans
1 large or 2 medium yellow onions diced pretty fine
3 bunches of green onions diced fine up into the green for color
Allot of garlic, 8 to 12 cloves diced super fine, I use Gilroy’s crushed garlic in the jar about 2 tablespoons
1 Pound of RAW high quality smoked bacon, slice in ¼” pieces, I slice the entire pound at once ¼” at a time, they come apart while cooking, I use “John Morrell double smoked thick sliced”
1 cup brown sugar
1 cup ketchup
1 teaspoon liquid smoke
2 Tablespoons coarse black pepper
2 Tablespoons Worcestershire
1 teaspoon kosher salt
Combine and stir well in aluminum pan
Place on grill and cook 1 hour stirring frequently, pay close attention to the bottom so the beans don’t stick, the beans will start to thicken and the onions will no longer be visible at around the 45 min mark, keep stirring and cooking, if you remove to soon they will be runny, if they start getting very thick while hot it is time to get them off, it takes a little practice depending on your grill and how hot it gets
I have not used the oven to make these, so I am not sure how that will work.
It is critically important to fully cook these because of the raw bacon, if sliced small enough when the onion is done and becomes transparent the bacon should be fully cooked, 1 hour seems to work well for me on my grill.
It is critically important to support the bottom of the aluminum pan off the grill, I pull it off the grill onto a cookie sheet to transport into the house, they are hot so be careful, stir, place in serving dish and enjoy.
Here they are raw before putting on the grill:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	beans2.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	172.0 KB
ID:	440119  
ddaniel1 is offline   Reply With Quote