View Single Post
Old 03-14-2012, 11:59 PM   #68
LoveBeingUseless

My Ride: 2003 325i Sedan
Thermostat DIY

I know there are many thermostat DIY's out there. I havent really looked through them, but I figure more info and pics cant hurt. Also I like to show my way of going about repairing these vehicle whenever I do a DIY. The way that is the most efficent while having the best quality of workmanship.

Just like other trades, being a technician is a skill that is aquired over a long period of time. Anyone can turn a ratchet but there are so many mistakes made by people when working on cars for stupid reasons. Here's a few tips of my own for those people of all experience levels that I have come to find important. I'm not the worlds greatest tech or anything, but I do this everyday of my life and you never stop learning. So hopefully I can help you guys learn new things about the cars and hobby we all love.

Tips:

ORGANIZATION: Keep your work enviornment clean organized. Keep the hardware together, the parts together and your tools together, if you are taking a componnent off of a car, prepare a place to set the part so it does not get damaged or contaminated.

CLEAN: If your engine is covered in oil and dirt, then get some degreaser and spray it down with a hose, go for a quick drive to help it dry up then start work, I garuntee it will make working on your engine much easier, quicker, and efficient.

RESEARCH: Learn what the hell you're working on before you actually get working on it! Get an understanding of the functions of a component before you work with it. Just a general understanding will help you feel more confident and may be the difference between making a costly mistake and not.

Alright..... so back to that DIY!

Step One: Lift the front of the vehicle

Step Two: Remove the front underbody panel. Just a few phillips 180 degree turn screws.

Step Three: Remove air duct for air box. It is held down by 3 plastic rivets. Pry them up gently with a tack puller. This is a very handle tool for working on these cars and I highly recommend getting one if you like getting your hands dirty. $6.99 at Sears.

Step Four: Disconnect the "Smelly Cow Sensor" and Fan Connecter which are located on the passanger side/top of the fan shroud. Unwind the wires from the various hooks that hold them all tidy and out of the way. Then move them out to the passanger side of the car so they are out of your way.

NOTE: The "Smelly Cow Sensor" is the sensor that detects impurities in the air, such as a dairy farm or big diesel truck. When your climate control is set to Auto Recirculation it will automatically shut the vents from outside so that these smells do not make it into the cabin.

Step Five: Remove the Engine Fan/Shroud. One plastic rivet on the driver side of the shroud and one T25 torx screw on the other.

NOTE: The process for changing a thermostat is slightly different on an automatic transmission vehicle rather than a manual. Automatic transmission vehicles have a engine driven fan that mounts to the water pump. A 32mm wrench is needed to remove this, It is REVERSE threaded. The fan most be threaded off of the waterpump first, then the fan shroud and fan can be removed together.

Since my car is a manual transmission it has an electric fan. This makes it much quicker to remove.

My buddy Greg who is an Infiniti Tech came over to hang out... So I put him to work.

Step Six: Now we can really access the Thermostat. Cut the zip tie holding the wire haness to the upper radiator hose and disconnect the electrical connector on the thermostat housing.

.....to Be continued shortly
LoveBeingUseless is offline   Reply With Quote