View Single Post
Old 03-16-2012, 04:46 PM   #13
Rob Levinson * UUC Motorwerks
UUC Motorwerks, *******

My Ride: 7s, M5s, M3s, others
Quote:
Originally Posted by TxZHP04 View Post
I'd be interested to learn more about what has been done to address the reported shortcomings of the 1st Gen product which has been around for over 4 years now. How was the control arm interface modified to address the dimensional variations found among the various brands of CAs?
Effectively, we've turned it inside out. The original version had a central metal sleeve that went around the control arm pin, with damping material around that.

The new version has the damping material in the center, so it is slightly tight on the control arm pin, gripping it.

To refresh the understanding of the original problem, some aftermarket control arms are cast out of spec... they don't match the correct dimensions set by BMW, so they would be loose in our bearing which was designed to match the BMW dimensions. Not critical with the OE rubber, but the same flexible nature of urethane also solves the problem.

Quote:
Has the bearing been upgraded, I seem to recall some sort of complaints related to those?
The noise was due to the problem expalined above, the arms loose within the bearing. Solved.

Quote:
Are the bearings expected to be maintenance free or should people plan to clean and repack them with grease periodically (and if so, at what interval)?
As with any lubricated part, periodic maintenance is recommended. How often depends mostly on environmental factors, how much grit and road salt is used in your region. The good news is that it is very easy to service these. If you had to do it any more frequently than 2-3 years, I would be surprised!

BIG BRAKE KIT HEADQUARTERS!

ALL CURRENT UUC SPECIALS:
-[ CLICK HERE ]
Rob Levinson * UUC Motorwerks is offline   Reply With Quote