03-22-2012, 11:52 AM
Join Date: May 2007
My Ride: 323i
OK, i"ll try my best to answer these questions.
Originally Posted by mattthecoxcomb
These are great questions. Also, some of mine from last week remain unanswered. Of particular interest is:
1. All things being equal, how is the sound quality running B146 through OEM (non-HK) speakers as compared to BMW Business CD?
2. Bluetooth phonebook functionality--can a paired device's phonebook be accessed through the GUI on the B146 and the steering wheel controls? Some users seem to have indicated that when placing a call, the number must be dialed using the touchpad in the GUI on the B146 or, alternatively, using the paired phone itself.
It would be really great to see some answers/thoughts from members who have already received and installed theirs.
On that note, and with respect to policing others' posts: we are all here to learn from and share in the collective wealth of information offered through the forum. One may disagree with or even choose to ignore the comments of another member. But when any member is made to feel that his or her comments are unwelcome, it undermines the forum's role as a repository of knowledge. Every experience, rumination, DIY, or gripe that is relevant to these cars (and associated products) is entitled to expression here--indeed, it should almost be obligatory because some other member could learn something from it.
It's also useful for vendors on the forum to be informed about the wants of their customer base. In this particular case, the folks selling these Enco head units should know that many customers would prefer to use an alternate and arguably more modern and mainstream payment method without paying some kind of penalty. If the lack an alternate method dissuades JUST one perspective buyer, costing them a SINGLE sale, they need to be aware of it. It's good business.
1. Sound quality is very good compared to business CD. I do hear some very faint crackles and hiss (could be my gains) when no music is playing and nothing once the music starts.
2. From my experience, once the phone connects via bluetooth it will load all your contacts onto the unit and you can choose using the screen. I have not attempted to use steering controls in this mode.
3. Bluetooth functions while in NAV and you can use steering controls while in NAV as well.
4. Music will resume after getting a call. Of course, I was not using the iPhone to play and music and receive a call. But I would assume it would be the same.
5. I cannot answer about the reverse camera at this time.
6. Pushing the left button will turn off the unit. Can't remember what pushing the right one does (IIRC nothing). In settings -> sounds -> subwoofer control. It's very basic, but you can raise or lower the bass and the subwoofer separately.
7. Seems like the radio tuner is louder to me, but it really doesnt matter to me.
Best I could do for now.