View Single Post
Old 03-27-2012, 10:49 AM   #12
TxZHP04

My Ride: ESS TS2+ ZHP
Quote:
Originally Posted by jared_wiesner View Post
It can't just be the aluminum block. The m52tu's are aluminum block engines and there has been no reports of the same thing happening that I've found.
If I'm right and they aren't affected. I still think a 328 makes a better track car. Hell I'm pushing the same kind of power as a stock 330 now and I feel much safer about the engine out on the track when I'm up hanging out at redline.
No, you are correct in that you can't just blame one component of a system for an issue like this. I think what most are saying is that it's the combination of the crank used in the 330 (this is the rotating component and thus the source of vibration) combined with the aluminum block (Al is more ductile than Fe and thus the crank isn't "pinned" as rigidly at the bearings) which creates the harmonics that lead to the failure of a weak oil pump design.

Since the 328 doesn't use the same crank as the 330 and also isn't known to experience this harmonic issue (at least in the < 7k rpm range these motors are typically run), there is legitimate justification for feeling the 328 has the better high rpm motor (ie, the better track motor).
04 IR 330i ZHP | ESS TS2+ SC | MagnaFlow "headers" | KMS 3.64 LSD | AST 4100 550/650| APEX ARC-8 18x9 | H&R front sway bar | Vorshlag camber plates, RTAB limiters | TMS subframe & swaybar reinforcements | UUC SSK & DSSR | UUC TM & TME | BW motor mounts | Dinan strut & shock tower bars | vaio 4-bolt oil pump
TxZHP04 is offline   Reply With Quote