View Single Post
Old 03-27-2012, 10:50 AM   #13
TxZHP04

My Ride: ESS TS2+ ZHP
Most people with a b30 don't want to tackle trying to modify the crank or block but that still leaves several avenues for attacking this harmonic problem. Anything that alters the vibration characteristics of the crank are obvious solution candidates. Hence we have the development of things like the ATI Super Damper and recommendations to stick with the stock dual mass flywheel (as a LW single mass flywheel doesn't dampen crank vibrations as effectively as the dual mass). The use of the S54 timing chain tensioner has also been suggested, and although I am running this myself, I'm not sure the effect has ever really been quantified (in theory, it could make things better or worse - all I can say is that I notice less chain rattle). Making the oil pump robust enough to withstand the level of vibration experienced is the other logical solution (or band-aid depending on your point of view) and there have been a number of different attempts at making the oil pump more robust (some seem to work, others still experience failure). Due to the general lack of research and long term usage data, it would seem the safest approach would be to attack the problem on all fronts hence the recommendations to upgrade the crank damper, oil pump, and chain tensioner.
04 IR 330i ZHP | ESS TS2+ SC | MagnaFlow "headers" | KMS 3.64 LSD | AST 4100 550/650| APEX ARC-8 18x9 | H&R front sway bar | Vorshlag camber plates, RTAB limiters | TMS subframe & swaybar reinforcements | UUC SSK & DSSR | UUC TM & TME | BW motor mounts | Dinan strut & shock tower bars | vaio 4-bolt oil pump

Last edited by TxZHP04; 03-27-2012 at 10:51 AM.
TxZHP04 is offline   Reply With Quote