View Single Post
Old 03-30-2012, 11:21 AM   #30
aggieE46
Keep it clean

My Ride: 03 Evo, 07 Passat
Send a message via AIM to aggieE46
Got 3/4 of my bearings off. Messed up the old ones. I salved the easy E46 bearing. Working on getting the other one off. Gotta run to Home Depot at noon and buy longer bolts for the tool.

Edit: Got the 4th bearing off. Trashed. So, I have one good bearing. I'll probably go ahead and just buy 2 to have a backup.

I used this tool:

http://www.harborfreight.com/bearing...set-93980.html

I had to grind the lips a bit to get a bite and I had to get longer bolts to get the last bearing. For $40, it's nice to have the tool, but I may never need to use it again. If you want to save some hassle, talk to your machine shop about just pulling these off. Might even be able to save yours.

So, here's where we are:

As you can see from the picture, the units themselves seem to be the same height. I haven't measured, but they're pretty darn close. So to add to my excellent illustrations, here's what I'm supposed to do next. The LSD must be modified so that the ring gear is in the same position as it is on the open differential. As you can see, it's too long. I will need to have the bearing seat and shoulder milled down so that it matches. That's the next step.

I'll get ahead of myself and say that after that, the unit itself will be too short. I will then have to have a spacer made to space the bolt-on cover out towards the driver's side. That will make the LSD unit the exact length of the open unit and put the ring gear in the same position as it is on the open unit.

Enjoy the update!

Last edited by aggieE46; 03-30-2012 at 01:24 PM.
aggieE46 is offline   Reply With Quote