View Single Post
Old 03-31-2012, 12:38 PM   #1
redbull 325is

My Ride: 325xit/6
Send a message via AIM to redbull 325is
DIY: PADDLE SHIFTER MOD: Pull both paddles for sport mode

Hey Guys,
I installed m3 smg paddle shifters in my steptronic wagon a few months ago using this link (thanks for that diy!) but I wanted to be able to engage sport mode by pulling back both paddle shifters at the same time momentarily.

To achieve this I had to combine both paddle signals into one signal to activate latching relay.

To combine both paddle inputs into one output. I used a standard 4 prong relay. I wired it as such

pin 85 : tap into right paddle output
pin 30 : tap into left paddle output
pin 86 : switched power (I found green wire going to switches above my ashtray that was switched power, double check!)
pin 87: output to latched relay

the logic behind this that one paddle would activate the relay, the other would ground out the signal going to the latched relay, effectively only working when both are pulled at the same time.

-Theoretically you could swap pin 87 for 87a on a 5 prong relay so that the car is in sport mode when you first start up and normal mode when you hit both paddles, however I haven't tested this.

To make the car go into sport mode and stay there, you need a latching relay which effectively close and open each time it receives an input. To accomplish this I used a DEI 611T programmable switch, other options may be available but this was cheap enough and would do the job well. I picked mine up on ebay for $20 shipped.

The 611t has 5 wires
red : switched power
black: ground
green: input from relay (pin 87)
yellow: ground
brown: goes to 4 pin wiring harness that you tap into for the paddle shifters (one wire for each paddle, one ground, tap into the remaining wire)

I really like this mod as it allows me to drive regularly in drive and pop her into the gear I want to in case I see a fun corner coming up without my hands leaving the steering wheel

Last edited by redbull 325is; 04-01-2012 at 11:51 AM.
redbull 325is is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.