View Single Post
Old 04-19-2012, 09:45 AM   #15
SLO Town
OEM ///Member

My Ride: 2003 330Ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by kroh View Post
I regret to tell you that you're not the first to come to the conclusion that there must be some easier way that you're not privvy to; this question gets asked a lot. Unfortunately, such easier way does not exist. If you know a friendly shop, they might take a few bucks to put it on the lift and take a few whacks at it with a sledge to get the ball joints free for you-then you can bolt it back together to get it home where you can finish the job.

To be candid, my control arms were about ten years old when I replaced them, and I never did get the ball joints to come loose. I threw in the towel and had a shop do it. (I got some peace from the story about how the first guy assigned to the job couldn't get them free, either.)

Good luck.
OP, Kroh, and all others:

First, OP, glad you were able to complete the job.

But, THERE IS A MUCH EASIER WAY TO REMOVE/INSTALL THE INNER BALL JOINTS OF THE FRONT CONTROL ARMS.

I have done this myself! No pickle forks. No mauling of your front cross brace. No prying against parts that aren't designed to be pryed against! No cussing. No cut up or bruised hands. No meltdown!

The pictures are worth 1,000 words. Done this way, let me just say, the job is really easy. Really, really easy.

Questions?

Scott
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Engine support beam.jpg
Views:	806
Size:	153.9 KB
ID:	447298   Click image for larger version

Name:	Front crossmember and rack and pinion removed, engine hanging from support beam.jpg
Views:	814
Size:	127.5 KB
ID:	447299   Click image for larger version

Name:	Crossmember with new ZHP control arms and Lemforder bushings.jpg
Views:	825
Size:	137.0 KB
ID:	447300  
Original Owner 2003 330Ci ZSP, 3145 lbs, 5-spd, leather, Alcantara wheel, staggered 19" BBS, ZHP FCAs/diff cover/weighted knob, M3 eng + trans mounts/outer RCABs/RCABs with Turner limiters, Group N inner RCABs, Bilstein Sports (E36 M3 rears), Eibach P-K, H&R bars, BMW Performance Rotors, Turner caliper bushings, StopTech lines, Borla, RE pullies/RSM, Stewart WP, M-Technic Trunk Spoiler, Mason pedal/strut bar/end links, B&M shifter, UUC DSSR

Last edited by SLO Town; 04-19-2012 at 09:51 AM. Reason: Typo
SLO Town is offline   Reply With Quote