View Single Post
Old 04-19-2012, 07:24 PM   #1
Nroussakov

My Ride: 325it
Bilstein struts cause car to ride higher than spec

Hi all,
I have an '03 e46 325 iT. I just got my factory front struts replaced with Bilstein struts (non sport). The ride height of the car increased quite a bit from before. I went back to the mechanic, they measured the height and compared against BMW factory spec. The result was indeed higher.

The spec says from bottom of wheel rim to wheel well should be 589 mm with a +/- 10mm tolerance. However the measured height with the Bilsteins is 605mm. This is 15 mm off spec and 5 mm off from the top tolerance level.

We checked the part number with Bilstein to make sure they didn't send me the rough road package struts, and they confirmed they are the normal ones. The mechanics also verified the installation to make sure the strut is all the way in steering knuckle. All looks good with the install. Btw, it's been 3 months now since the install, so there was time for the struts to settle.

My question is whether this increased height is normal of non-factory struts? If I had the option to replace them with BMW factory struts, would there be a risk of ending up with the same issue?

Thanks,
Nick
Nroussakov is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.