04-28-2012, 12:03 AM
Join Date: Jan 2010
My Ride: 330ci
| HOLY CRAP THIS WAS A P.I.T.A.!!!!!!
Any way, finally got done. This was by far the hardest starter I have ever changed out. Thanks for the write up. I was able to get to the top bolt from the bottom with the "E" socket, I had to because the bolts were so freaking tight the wrench wouldn't budge it even with another wrench being used as a breaker bar I almost broke the universal and extensions trying to get the bolts loose. The new starter would not get on the pin for anything, cleaning the pin, sanding lightly, WD-40 or anything else would work so I had to drill it out just a bit and then I was able to get it on. I went 1/32nd or so over the size it was.
While I was down there I also replaced some vacuum hoses that were deteriorated. Got it back together and so far so good.
This is do-able for anyone who is thinking of attempting just be ready for what ever comes up.
Thanks again to OP for the write up....
My 330Ci - A work in progress.....
M3 Front Bumper - M-Tech II Rear Bumper - Sprint Booster - K&N Cold Air Intake - BMW Performance Carbon Fiber Strut Brace - Dynavin Android Radio
19" Staggered iForged Daytonas - Quad Tip Muffler Delete - Smoked Corners and Rear Lights with LED - 6000k Angel Eyes -