View Single Post
Old 05-01-2012, 02:07 AM   #33
Alex323Ci

My Ride: M3 & 323Ci (sold)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blocked Out View Post
The diameter and width of the rim or tire has nothing to do with breaking the rear end loose . Even weight was no relationship with size
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blocked Out View Post
Moment of inertia sure does play a role but a light wheel can be just as stable as a heavier one as long as it paired with good tires . Another thing you cant forget is tire compound .

The reason why wider wheels/tires help cars NOT break traction is because they're often way too heavy and the car simply doesnt make that much power to break them loose.
Yes I totally agree that the tire/compound has plenty to do with it. But I was only saying I can't agree with your statement, "diameter and width has nothing to do with breaking the rear end loose". I absolutely believe it does. Two exact same model tires and at the onset that the smaller width wheel starts to lose traction in most every circumstance the wider wheel will have traction and it's onset to lose traction will be later on. Thus width and contact patch is a factor.